Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In-Class Teaching Reflection

As a teacher, it is important to be able to look back at each day’s experience and reflect on how the lesson went. By doing this I will be able to improve and become a better teacher. During my in-class teaching experience, I was able to notice some strengths and weaknesses in my teaching style. As I notice these areas, I can focus on them to make those specific areas better.
One of my weaknesses in this lesson was confidence. Without confidence in a teacher, students are less willing to take everything the teacher says at face value or even respect them as a teacher. . Although I knew the material to be covered, I did not feel entirely confident throughout much of the lesson and I’m sure that carried over to the class. In the future, I will need to look over the material enough that I feel confident. If I cannot do that, then I need to at least convey the message of confidence to the class.
Another weakness was in the rote memorization portion of the lesson. Throughout this portion, we explained and gave examples of rote memorization. However, we never really gave a meaningful example or experience for the class. In future lessons covering Cognition and Memory, I would rework the rote memory portion so that it is more meaningful to students. Perhaps I would give them some real life experiences that they can build on and connect to themselves.
One of the strengths of the lesson was class participation. Throughout the lesson, Christina and I gave the class ample opportunities to participate in the lesson. For example, when teaching the class about Keyword Mnemonics, we gave them a chance to create a Keyword Mnemonic using the lesson’s vocabulary. This helped to involve the class, as well as using different levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy (remembering vocabulary, creating a mnemonic device, etc.).
Another strength in the lesson was the use of different intelligence types. Throughout the lesson, different types of Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence theory were used. We demonstrated musical intelligence through the song, “My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants” to teach the 11 planets. We also allowed students to use their linguistic intelligence to create keyword mnemonics. Finally we used logical intelligence with math problems to teach algorithms.

No comments:

Post a Comment